NAU uses an outside vendor to distribute W-2 information. Anyone employed by the university (faculty, staff, students, graduate assistants, part-time instructors) can choose whether to receive their W-2’s electronically or through regular mail.
For more information choose the links below.
- Why choose electronic W-2’s?
- What if I don’t want to receive my W-2 electronically?
- When do I have to decide how to receive my W-2?
- What about data security?
- If I sign up to receive my W-2 electronically, how will the information come to me?
- How do I sign up to receive my W-2’s electronically?
Why choose electronic W-2’s?
- will be available online sooner than mailed copies
- can be printed as many times as needed once received electronically
- can be downloaded to your personal computer for access anytime
- will be available on the vendor’s website through October 15
- can be uploaded into some tax preparation software (Turbo Tax, Jackson Hewitt, H&R Block)
- remove the risk of sending your social security number on a paper copy in the mail – a common source of identity theft
What if I don’t want to receive my W-2 electronically?
Employees who do not want electronic delivery do not need to do anything. They will be mailed a hard copy W-2 by the end of January, as required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Accurate distribution of W-2 forms is dependent on each employee keeping their address current in LOUIE. To update your information, go to www.nau.edu/louie , log in and select Self Service ► Campus Personal Information ► Addresses.
When do I have to decide how to receive my W-2?
Employees have until the first week in January to elect to receive an electronic W-2. No action on the part of the employee will lead to a paper W-2 being mailed by the end of January.
What about data security?
The security of W-2 data was the highest priority in selecting a vendor and was reviewed by NAU’s Information Technology Services (ITS) Director of Security.
If I sign up to receive my W-2 electronically, how will the information come to me?
In January, you will receive an email notification that your W-2 is available online. You can print it from the site or can download it to your computer. Recipients of electronic W-2’s will not receive a mailed copy.
How do I sign up to receive my W-2’s electronically?
Because the IRS has strict requirements on how the election to receive electronic W-2’s is documented, you register on our vendor’s website. It takes about five minutes to complete the process and each step is tracked on a progress line on the web page that shows you what is left to be completed.
To sign up, go to https://www.paperlessemployee.com/nau and choose ‘create an account.’ You can follow the prompts given, but here are a few tips on what to expect:
- Because of the level of security for the account, the case sensitive password you choose will require three of the following four items: UPPERCASE letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
- You’ll enter your social security number, date of birth, and email while setting up your account. This ensures the delivery of the correct W-2 to you (and not to anyone else).
- Once your account is established, you will receive a confirmation email inviting you to return to the web page, log in, and sign up to receive your tax statement (W-2) electronically. If you want, you can also enter another email for notification at this time.
- Once you have signed up, you will receive another email notifying you that there is one more step in the process. Return to the webpage to confirm that you can view a PDF file on your computer (required by the IRS, because your W-2 will be delivered in PDF format). If you don’t have the software, you’ll have a chance to download it to your computer.
- A final email will let you know that your registration process is complete.