Faculty and Administrator Openings
|Position: Chemistry & Biochemistry, Assistant Professor|
|Vacancy Number: 600417|
|Department: Chemistry & Biochemistry|
|Status: Full-Time, Regular|
- This position is a full-time tenure-track position.
- Application Procedure. Applications should address the job description and preferred qualifications and include (1) a cover letter, (2) a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, (3) a statement of research interests and plans for scholarly activity, (4) curriculum vitae, and (5) three letters of recommendation. Materials should be sent to email@example.com. Address questions to Dr. Cynthia Hartzell, Physical Chemistry Search Committee Chair, PO Box 5698, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5698, (928) 523-6397, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dr. Marin Robinson, Chair, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, email@example.com, (928) 523-3008, or visit the department website at http://www.nau.edu/~chem/.
- Tenure-track assistant professor in physical chemistry.
- Provide excellent instruction in upper-division physical chemistry lectures and labs including Physical Chemistry 1 and 2 (CHM 341, CHM 442C), Advanced Physical Chemistry Lab (CHM 442L), and a graduate-level physical chemistry course.
- Provide excellent instruction in general chemistry and general chemistry labs (CHM 151, CHM 152, CHM 151L, CHM 152L).
- Develop a vigorous research program in physical chemistry that leads to peer-reviewed publications and extramural funding. Areas that complement our current research initiatives include environmental chemistry, atmospheric chemistry, cancer-related research, and NMR spectroscopy.
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate (M.S.) students in physical chemistry.
- Work effectively with a culturally diverse population of faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide service to the department, college, university, and profession.
- An earned Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry or closely related academic field conferred by start date of August 2014.
- Research experience at the PhD and post-doctoral level in physical chemistry.
- A publication record and extramural funding in physical chemistry.
- Teaching experience and evidence of effective teaching in chemistry.
- Experience working with and interacting with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Northern Arizona University is a 25,000-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 65,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emph*asis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes. The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.
- The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry has 20 faculty committed to excellence in teaching and research. The department currently has over 250 undergraduate majors and offers a number of Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in chemistry including two ACS-certified degrees. An 80,000 square foot Laboratory Sciences Building was completed in 2008. A new Health and Sciences Building is scheduled for completion in 2016.
- Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
- $61,000 to $67,000
- This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin August 5, 2013.
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.