Job Code: 89073
FLSA Status: This position is typically exempt.
Prepared By: NAU Human Resources Department
Revision Date: 4/1/04
This position provides a range of research administrative services for the preparation and submission of proposals, negotiation, and acceptance of grants and contracts, and the administration of project funds.
The grant/contract administrator is a specialized classification and not part of a series.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following are examples of typical duties. Other duties may be assigned. Essential duties should be identified on a more specific working job description.
- Facilitates the University’s involvement in projects and programs funded by external sponsors.
- Works with individual and multidisciplinary groups of faculty, staff, and students to develop new proposals.
- Assists with budget development and formatting of proposals to meet agency requirements and guidelines.
- Provides administrative oversight including negotiating the terms and conditions of awards and sub-awards, and monitoring them for compliance with given standards.
- Develops contracts with the major funding agencies and matches potential funding sources with faculty research interests.
- Provides training to faculty, staff and students.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Familiarity with programs and processes of primary granting agencies, including federal agencies as well as corporate and private sponsors.
- Knowledge of the university research environment.
- Skill in program development and implementation; including developing project budgets and providing guidance in project management.
- Familiarity with federal and state regulatory and compliance issues affecting Universities.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to set priorities and to work comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Required experience can range from 3-5 years of related experience. A master’s degree in a related field is sometimes preferred.