Background and Fingerprint Changes and Updates
Human Resources would like to announce some new and exciting Background Investigation policy changes effective September 1, 2010!
- Lower Costs
- Break In Service Change
- Employment History Check Time Reduced
- Employment History Check Process Change
Lower Costs: The background investigation “standard package” cost went down. Please update your forms. They are located on our Human Resources website>Forms Index>Background Check Request Form for Faculty/Non-faculty
Break in Service: The background check break in service was 1 day and is now 6 months.
- If a previous NAU employee returns within 6 months and they do not have a previous disclosure and they are not going into a Safety/Security Sensitive position no action is required.
- If a person returns to NAU within a 6 month period and has a disclosure and/or they are going into a Safety/Security Sensitive position, please use our Background/Fingerprint Tool to determine the appropriate action.
Employment History Check Time Reduced: The requirement for a 10 year employment history has been reduced to 7 years. A 7 year employment check is required prior to the individual beginning employment at NAU.
Employment History Check Process Change: NAU hiring departments now have two options for employment history searches:
- Departments can opt out from American Background completing the 7 year employment history check and must complete the employment check internally (Employment Check Form located on HR webpage under Forms Index). OR,
- Departments that don’t have the resources to conduct the employment check can continue to use the services American Background provides for this research.
NOTE: If departments choose to complete the 7 year employment checks internally, the Standard Check without employment search will need to be completed through American Background. This will cut the cost of your backgrounds dramatically.