1.05 Employment of Relatives
Origination date: 10/1/93
Applicability: Academic Professionals, Administrators, Classified Staff, Faculty, Service Professionals
The purpose of this policy is to avoid conflicts of interest and problems that can arise with
Employment of Relatives
The university permits employment of members of the same family, subject to the following restrictions. No
officer or employee of the university may employ, direct the employment, promote or direct the promotion,
directly or indirectly supervise the work, evaluate the performance, or influence the compensation of any
family member within the third degree of relationship or work for, arrange, or suggest such employment,
promotion, or other benefit.
The third degree of relationship includes:
- Grandparents/Great Grandparents
- Grandchildren/Great Grandchildren
Members of the same family may be employed in the same department or other comparable administrative unit, except in the following situations:
- When one member of a family is responsible for making decisions in personnel matters involving the appointment, retention, or salary level of another member of the same family.
- When one member of a family is responsible for supervising, evaluating, or auditing the work of another member of the same family.
- When other circumstances exist which place members of the same family in situations of actual or reasonably foreseeable conflict between the interests of the university and the family members.
While this policy explicitly applies to legally-recognized familial relationships, employees are advised that it may be applied in situations where a conflict of interest could occur in relationships which are not legally recognized, for example, when employees maintain a relationship similar to the relationships prescribed above.