Return to Policies

2.04 Supplemental Compensation

Origination date: 10/1/93
Revised: 1/1/2000
Applicability: All Exempt Classified Staff and Service Professionals


The purpose of this policy is to outline the supplemental pay process and related criteria.

Work Eligible for Supplemental Pay

An employee may be eligible to receive supplemental compensation for work paid by the university, in addition to the employee's normal full-time salary, when the employee performs work during hours outside his/her normal full-time work schedule and such work is approved in advance by his/her department head and other appropriate approvals as required by the department's provost/associate provost or vice president.

Supplemental work must be:

Supplemental Employment Requests should only be submitted for supplemental employment of full-time employees during the periods of regular employment. All other requests should be submitted on a Personnel Action Request (PAR) form.

For example, a Supplemental Employment Request must be submitted for a full-time fiscal-year exempt classified staff employee, who has been requested to teach a one-semester class. A Supplemental Employment Request must be submitted for an academic-year faculty member presenting a seminar for another department during the academic year.

Prior Approval Requirement

Approval of supplemental employment must be obtained prior to making final arrangements to begin any additional remunerative employment. Payment in support of a Supplemental Employment Request is subject to approval of the employee's department head, the area/organization manager for the funding source, and other appropriate approval(s) as required by the department's provost/associate provost or vice president.

Federal Fund Limitations

Federal sponsored agency regulations prohibit routine payment of supplemental pay for full-time employees.

Exceptions to permit supplemental pay must be approved by the sponsoring agency according to the sponsor's policies and authorized by the required university official.

Rate of Pay

When the supplemental work to be performed by an employee is within his/her assigned job classification in a department other than the employee's assigned department, the supplemental compensation payment will be at the employee's regular rate of pay.

Compensation for supplemental work which is separate and distinct from the duties and responsibilities of the employee's regular job description shall be within the hiring range of the assigned pay grade of the job classification which encompasses the supplemental work or at a rate approved by the appropriate provost/associate provost or vice president. Supplemental pay rates for teaching off-campus and evening courses will be determined by the provost. Concurrence of the Human Resources Department is required for classified staff and service professional compensation rates.

Maximum Hours - Supplemental Compensation

The number of hours of supplemental work completed during the fiscal/academic year will be accumulated over that period. The maximum number of hours of supplemental compensation that may be earned is 384 hours for those employed on a fiscal year basis or 312 hours for academic year employees. The total of supplemental compensation received during any single academic or fiscal year may not exceed these amounts without the prior approval of the president or designee.

Full Time Exempt Employees

An employee exempt from over-time compensation is eligible for supplemental compensation providing that the supplemental work is:

Non-exempt employees: Under the Fair Labor Standards Act if the primary job of an employee is nonexempt, all supplemental work is subject to overtime requirements. For example, if a non-exempt employee performs supplemental work in a capacity that would otherwise be exempt (such as teaching a class), the payment for all work exceeding 40 hours in a seven-day workweek must be verified to be at least at timeand- one-half the employee’s normal hourly rate of pay. This payment may be processed on a supplemental payment form.

However, if a nonexempt employee performs supplemental work in a non-exempt position, the pay should be
processed on a PAR form, including any required overtime, as outlined in the overtime policy, Policy 2.03
Overtime/Fair Labor Standards Act.