||Non - exempt
|Purpose of Classification
||Collects blood specimens for use by clinicians and/or Medical Technologists for clinical analyses, evaluations, and/or diagnostic purposes.
||This is a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents are required to work with biohazardous bodily fluids.
|Example of Duties
- Draws blood specimens from patients by using finger stick, heel stick and/or venipuncture.
- Collects throat culture specimens.
- Greets patients and instructs them in proper specimen collection methods.
- Labels specimens for identification purposes and enters specimen data into computer.
- Prepares specimens for reference laboratory by using centrifuge to spin blood.
- Maintains alphabetical filing system for patient information.
- Answers telephone calls and routes calls to appropriate member of the medical or laboratory staff.
- Writes test results sent from reference laboratory into patient report; distributes report to clinicians.
- Inventories and requisitions medical laboratory supplies; stocks work area as needed.
- Keeps work areas clean and orderly; washes laboratory glassware as needed.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of various techniques in collecting specimens.
- Skill in determining most appropriate site to obtain specimens.
- Skill in filing.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- High school graduate (or equivalent) AND one year experience in drawing blood specimens; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education